Free Headless CMS: Contentful Vs Prismic Vs Sanity
Contentful: Intuitive Authoring and Generous Free Usage Limits
Contentful provides you with a content infrastructure that lets you build without any limitations, code in any language and use your favorite tools and frameworks to build a better digital product.
To integrate it to your app, a collection of APIs are made available to give you full programmatic control over content and assets such as the Content Delivery API and the Content Management API.
You can access from the website a toolbox that allows you to:
- Model your content by creating custom content types, picking and choosing individual fields, applying custom field validation (characters count limits, etc.) and arranging entries in flexible hierarchies.
- Create, publish and edit your content using a rich editor interface that supports a complete set of data types such as text, markdown, location, dates, collections, JSON snippets, and more.
- Upload and publish your assets.
Custom content management roles & permissions.
Webhooks and easy continuous integration and deployment pipelines.
Free usage limits
- Requests that hit the CDN cache: unlimited
- 78 requests per second
- 280800 requests per hour
- 2M request per month
- Asset Bandwidth: 750 GB
- 2 Environments (master + sandbox)
- 1 Role
- 2 Locales
- 24 Content types
- 5,000 Records (entries and assets)
Space usagepage accessible when logged in the Contenful Web App
Usagepage from the Organization settings
Prismic: Modern Editor and Advanced Release Management
Prismic.io allows you to manage and push content painlessly to your web apps and native apps by providing a modern authoring experience and a highly flexible API.
A Visual Custom Type Builder that supports drag and drop rich text fields, geopoints, images, color fields, relational fields and more.
Scheduling and previews with release management and automated publication.
Revision history to keep track of every modification and visualize the change details, the change dates and the authors.
Full localization support and a translation workflow for your marketing & translation teams.
Define reusable custom components with Content Slices.
Webhooks can be set up for various events such as document publication and edition.
Free usage limits
- 100GB/month Bandwidth usage (including API and asset delivery)
- 1 User
Sanity.io: Customizable Content Editor and a Feature Rich CLI
With Sanity, your content is treated as structured data and is made available through a simple and powerful API. You can edit it collaboratively and freely decide later how and where it will be distributed and used.
- Sanity Studio: An open source, customizable content editing environment built with React.js, that includes advanced editing features such as Block content and Structure Builder
- Content Lake: A fully managed cloud data store that can be accessed either by using one of the client libraries or directly via HTTP.
- Content modeling with schema types
- A Query Language (GROQ) can be used to retrieve collections of schema-less JSON documents.
- Your Frontends and tools can be notified whenever content is changed either using realtime listeners or via webhooks where the changes are submitted as HTTP requests to a custom URL.
- Assets management, image transformations and an Asset pipeline.
- A Command Line Interface that makes it easy to create new projects and set up, import and tear down datasets.
Free usage limits
- Unlimited admin users
- 3 non-admin users
- 2 Datasets
- 500k API CDN Requests per month
- 100k API Requests per month
- 5GB Assets
- 10GB Bandwidth per month
- 10k Documents
Soufiane Sakhi is an AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate and a professional full stack developer based in Paris, France. He is the creator of Simply-how.com, the My Route Directions Android app, and many open source browser extensions such as YouTube Playlist Helper and Feedly filtering and sorting.